GREEN VISA | UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
IMMIGRATION | EMPLOYMENT | INVESTMENT | RELOCATION
UAE Green Visa
The UAE Green Visa is basically a brand-new type of residency visa that differentiates between work and residency permits. The Green Visa will enable highly skilled individuals, investors, entrepreneurs, and top scholars and graduates to sponsor themselves without first establishing relationships with companies based in the UAE.
What are the Advantages of the UAE Green Visa for 2022?
The UAE has now launched new entry visas and residence permits, as well as expanding the Golden Visa categories. The new entry and residence system was implemented to attract and retain global talents and skilled workers from all over the world, boost job market competitiveness and flexibility, and foster a high sense of stability among UAE residents and their families.
Some major improvements for the UAE Green Visa have already gone into effect, including the new 5-year residence tracks, which were introduced primarily to attract talents, skilled professionals, freelancers, investors, and entrepreneurs.
In addition to facilitating and streamlining the requirements for all residence types, additional benefits are being offered, such as longer flexible grace periods of up to 6 months to stay in the country after the residence permit is cancelled or expired to allow family members to reside.
Benefits of Green Visa
- The holder of a Green Visa may sponsor children, spouses, and first-degree relatives.
- Sponsoring their male children for up to 25 years (previously 18 years), with no age limit for unmarried daughters.
- Regardless of their age, children of determination (those with special needs) are granted a residence permit.
- The overstay period will be six months following visa cancellation or expiration.
- Overseas applicants are eligible for a 60-day entry work permit during the visa application process.
Who can apply for UAE Green Visa?
The following categories are eligible to apply for a Green visa:
- Freelancers/self-employed people
- Skilled employees
- Investors or partners
Required Documents for UAE Green Visa
Green Visa for Skilled Professionals
The new Green visa track for skilled employees provides a 5-year residency period for skilled employees without the need for a sponsor or employer.
The only requirements are as follows:
- Applicants must have a current employment contract.
- According to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization, you should be classified in the first, second, or third occupational level.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required as the minimum educational level.
- The applicant’s salary should not be less than AED 15,000 per month (USD 4,083.74)
Please keep in mind that skilled professionals (third level in the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization classification) are eligible for a 90-day grace period after their Green residence expires.
Green Visa for Freelancers and Self-Employed
With the freelancing industry and the concept of flexible work models expanding globally, the new Green visa for freelancing and self-employment provides a 5-year residency in the UAE for freelancers and self-employed individuals without the need for a sponsor or employer.
The only requirements are as follows:
- obtaining a self-employment/freelance permit from the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization.
- A bachelor’s degree or specialized diploma as a minimum educational qualification.
- AED 360,000 (USD 98,009.86) in self-employment income over the previous two years.
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate financial stability throughout their stay in the country.
Green Visa for an Investor or Partner
To encourage investment, the Green visa for investors or partners has been introduced. It grants investors 5 years of residency if they establish or participate in commercial activities. Furthermore, the validity period for this category has been extended from two to five years.
The requirements are as follows:
- Approval of the investment and proof of 1 million AED investment
- The total invested capital will be calculated if the investor (partner) has more than one license.
- The approval of the appropriate local authorities is required.
Benefits for Family Members
The visa’s target audience includes highly skilled individuals, investors, and business owners. Successful applicants can obtain residence permits for their male children up to the age of 25, while unmarried daughters have no age limit. Furthermore, children of determination (those with special needs) are granted resident permits regardless of age. More information can be found in our guide to the new Family Visa rules.
The holder of a Green Residence may bring their first-degree relatives. It should be noted that in all cases, family members must reside for the same period of time as the original residence holder. It’s an ideal solution for those looking to relocate their entire family.